Delicious, spicy vegan kale and quinoa bowl with black beans recipe is a quick one skillet dinner, easy to make in 30 minutes or less.
This delicious Chipotle Kale and Quinoa Bowl recipe came from a desire to make a skinny and vegan recipe using kale and quinoa with a little southwest spicy flavor. Black beans, spinach and corn mixed in with the quinoa and kale make up the “meat” of the recipe. Pineapple tidbits, avocado slices and pine nuts garnish the dish adding some sweetness to the spice and some delicious texture.
This Kale Quinoa Bowl has been a few years in the making. Several years ago, my husband was trying to eat less meat, but gain some muscle so we were always looking for vegan sources of protein. Enter quinoa into our diet. Quinoa is a wonderful source of complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. At first I wasn’t sure how to use quinoa in recipes recipes. I would cook it and we would eat it plain with Smoked Paprika Hummus. That was good, but I didn’t realize all the possibilities yet. Eventually after experimenting with quinoa and different flavors, I came up with some tasty quinoa recipes.
This Kale and Quinoa bowl is an easy dinner recipe that can be made in 30 minutes and is a one pan recipe. Start by wilting the kale and spinach in a hot pan, no longer than 30 seconds. Set aside until the rest of the recipe is prepared and then add it back to the quinoa.
Most importantly, mix the spices with the black beans. First mixing the spices together and then mixing the spices with the black beans cause the flavors to blend together very well. Next, add all the remaining ingredients to the pan (except for the toppings). Finally, simmer on low about 15 or 20 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Serve hot with the toppings.
Looking for other quinoa recipes? Try Cheesy Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole with chicken.
What I Used to Make Chipolte Kale and Quinoa Bowl
Chipolte Kale and Quinoa Bowl with Black Beans
Delicious, spicy vegan kale and quinoa bowl with black beans recipe is a quick one skillet dinner, easy to make in 30 minutes or less
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 cups kale chopped
- 2-3 cup spinach chopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beans (or 1 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 2-4 tbsp Chipolte in Adobo Sauce, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits
- 1 avocado diced
- 3 tbsp red onion diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- CHOP kale, spinach, red onions, chipolte in adobo sauce and cilantro.
- HEAT skillet. Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper with the kale. Toss to coat. When skillet is hot, cook kale for 30-45 seconds, until it starts to wilt and turns a bright green. Remove from pan.
- COMBINE 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper with the spinach. Cook spinach for 15-30 seconds, until it starts to wilt and turns a bright green. Remove from pan and combine with kale.
- MIX all the spices with the black beans.
- ADD water to the skillet and bring to a boil. After the water begins to boil, add the quinoa, black beans, corn, chipolte and lime juice.
- COVER pan and reduce heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked and liquid is gone.
- FLUFF the quinoa mixture with a fork.
- SERVE warm and garnished with pineapple tidbits, avocado, red onion and pine nuts.
All images and content are copyright protected.
For more recipe ideas, check out our Recipe Index.